Banana Split Pie: The Easiest Last Minute Dessert
Cheese Blintzes, Borekas, Babkas, Butter-Laden Cinnamon Buns, biscuits, and more are just a “sampling” of what is on my “to do” list this week... While just getting ready for a Yom Tov is time consuming enough, it’s an even bigger project this year when Shavuot falls out on Saturday night.
Once you factor in the extra challah baking and Shabbos and Yom Tov cooking, dessert is often overlooked. Either that or it creates unnecessary stress to come up with a crowd pleasing dessert to appeal to the masses. So here’s a quick, effortless, no frills, no bake, kid (as well as adult) friendly Banana Split Ice Cream Pie “recipe.” There's no mixer required, and it can even be prepared on Yom Tov. It may even take you on a stroll down memory lane to the ice cream parlor. Alternatively you can make this recipe using parve ice cream and whip for the (hopefully hot) upcoming summer months and beyond.
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 2-3 ripe, yellow bananas
- 3 of your favorite ice cream flavors (I went for the classics and used strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla)
- 1 can of whipped cream
- Fudge topping, chocolate, and/or caramel syrup
- Sprinkles, Nuts, and (or) all your favorite ice cream toppings
- Peel and slice bananas into rounds, and lay them on the bottom and up around the sides of the pie crust. Reserve any extra slices for garnish.
- With a bowl of hot water in reach (to facilitate scooping and to clean your scoop as you go, scoop the 3 varieties of ice cream onto the banana slices. Alternate flavors as you go so that every slice of pie gets a variety. Continue scooping until the ice cream reaches the top of the shell. Fill any gaps with spoonfuls of partially melted ice cream. Place a strip of plastic wrap over the top of the ice cream pie, pressing down gently to flatten and smooth. Place in the freezer for an hour or until firm.
- Prior to serving, take the pie out of the freezer, remove the plastic wrap, and pipe whipped cream over the top as you please. Garnish with strawberries, banana slices, fudge, nuts, and/or sprinkles, and of course a cherry on top!
Other serving options:
- Slice and serve frozen pie and set out a toppings bar for guests to personalize their slice.
- Fill graham crust with frozen (Greek or regular) yogurt of choice with a topping bar consisting of granola, diced fruit, and homemade macerated fruit for a healthier alternative to ice cream. This is especially perfect as a dessert for a breakfast-themed meal!