No Measuring Allowed: Apple Blueberry Fruit Pastry
Recipe brought to you by Rachel Kor, Kosher.com Staff
Welcome to our weekly lifestyle column, No Measuring Allowed. Every week we’ll be sharing a fun and easy Shabbat dessert that doesn’t require any measuring or special equipment, and calls for less than 6 ingredients! Perfect for busy moms and dads, or kids who love to help in the kitchen!
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 apple (I used Granny Smith), thinly sliced
Blueberries (or any other berry you like)
Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
1 egg, beaten
Turbinado sugar, optional
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out the puff pastry on the baking sheet. Imagine the pastry has three equal sections; add the sliced apples and fruit of your choice to the middle section. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
2) Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips into the two side sections – just to the center section.
3) Fold the strips inwards, over the fruit, alternating sides to create a braid-like pattern.
4) Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if using.
5) Bake until golden and cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes.
6) Serve with (parve) ice cream.