Play Date Week: Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
By Sara Goldstein @tomatoes_tomahtos
Grilled cheese is that classic comfort food that kids and adults both love! This rainbow version is a fun way to jazz it up! I like to use gel food coloring because it’s more concentrated and produces a brighter end result, but feel free to use regular food coloring, or natural food coloring if you don’t have it.
The only problem with these? Kids won't want to leave your house once the play date is over.
The sprinkles are optional, but definitely make this wacky sandwich even more over the top!
Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Yields: 2 servings
4 slices white bread
2/3 cup shredded cheese
3 tablespoons butter
Sprinkles for decoration, if desired
1. Divide the shredded cheese evenly between four bowls.
2. Add a drop of food coloring to each bowl and mix with a fork until coated. Use whatever color combination you would like!
3. Starting with one slice, lay out the colorful cheeses in neat rows. Do not overlap.
4. Repeat with another slice of bread. Top each rainbow slice with a slice of plain bread to close the sandwich.
5. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add in one tablespoon of butter and cook until melted. Gently place one sandwich in the pan and cook for a few minutes until the bread turns golden brown and the cheese begins to melt.
6. Flip the sandwich and repeat. While the second side is cooking, take half a tablespoon of butter and spread it over the toasted side. Shake sprinkles on immediately, if using.
7. Remove the sandwich from the heat and repeat with a second sandwich.
8. Cut against your original cheese rows to serve.