1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl mix all ingredients except onions and chicken until a paste is formed.
3. Rub the paste all over chicken pieces and under the skin.
4. In a baking dish, place onions and sprinkle with 3 TBSP water.
5. Place chicken pieces on top of onions
6. Bake in oven 45 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices, After 45 minutes, increase temperature to 450 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and skin looks crispy. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.