1. first mix the yeast and 1tbsp sugar with 1 cup of warm water. mix and let it sit till it bubbles.
2. in the meantime, add flour, 1 egg, sugar, salt and then the bubbled yeast.
3. slowly incorporate 1 cup of water at a time while mixing. (you might not need an exact of 5 cups….) mix till ingredients incorporated.
4. let the dough rest for about 10 minutes. then continue mixing- the longer the better.
5. cover and let the dough rise for about an hour or two or until dough doubles in size.
6. shape the challah and let it rise again for about an hour.
7. brush it with egg wash
8. bake on 425 for about 25-40 minutes.
9. prepare the garlic: mix minced garlic 1/2 cup oil and chopped parsley. when challah cools brush the garlic mixture over the challah.