1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Season potato starch with salt and pepper.
3. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry. (Reserve the marinade.) Press chicken into potato starch and tap to shake off the excess.
4. Heat a sauté pan over high heat. When pan is hot, add oil. Place chicken in pan, skin side down and sear for two minutes. Do not move. Flip and sear on the opposite side two additional minutes. Remove from pan and set aside in a baking pan.
5. Prepare the sauce: Add reserved marinade to a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Dissolve one tablespoon potato starch in two tablespoons water (make sure there are no lumps) and add this mixture to the pan. The sauce should thicken. If it’s not thick enough, add more dissolved potato starch. If it’s too thick, add water or chicken stock.
6. Pour sauce over chicken and bake 30 minutes for chicken tops (chicken bottoms will need up to an hour and a half).
7. Serve chicken with some of the sauce spooned on top.