1. In a large bowl, combine the chopped meat, eggs, oats, water, spices, and ketchup. Mix well. Divide among four small loaf pans.
2. Microwave the cranberry sauce and tomato sauce together for a minute and combine well. (If you prefer a more savory flavor, omit the cranberry sauce and use one cup of tomato sauce.) Spread a thin layer over the meat loaf in each pan.
3. Place whole unpeeled potatoes and sweet potato in a pot with water. (Leaving the peel on while cooking gives a creamier texture to the mashed potatoes, and prevents them from becoming watery after freezing.) Cook until soft.
4. Peel potatoes with a knife and mash potatoes and sweet potato separately. Add fried onions to each. Season with salt and pepper. Gently spread potatoes or sweet potatoes on top of the sauce in each pan.
5. Place pans in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until set and potatoes look crispy. Let sit a few minutes before serving.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can use all sweet potatoes for a change from the standard shepherd’s pie, or all potatoes. Depending on how thick you want the layer of mashed potatoes to be, you might want to adjust the quantities accordingly.