1. Heat about two inches of oil in a five-quart pot.
2. Pat the chicken strips dry.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, seltzer, and egg until smooth.
4. Add chicken strips and mix until coated with a thin layer of batter.
5. Fry in batches until golden and crispy, turning midway. (Alternately, you can deep-fry.) Don’t overcrowd the pan. Drain on paper towels.
6. When all the chicken is done, remove the pan from the heat and add the peppers to the hot pan. Cover and let sit for a few minutes until they soften somewhat.