The Best Honey "Cake Mix" Hack
By Sara Goldstein @tomatoes_tomahtos
I’m so excited to bring you this super easy honey cake recipe hack for Rosh Hashanah, using a ready-made mix! It has everything you need in a honey cake. Warm spices, a moist, delicious texture, and -bonus!- less time in the kitchen!
With all the craziness this season brings (end of summer, back to school, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot), most of you probably don’t have time to take out the measuring cups, sifters, flour, and sugar. That’s when hacks in the kitchen come into play.
After many (eight!) attempts to nail this, I went with the directions on the back of the box and added honey to the mix. I substituted the water for brewed coffee for a delicious boost of flavor. You can totally use water if that’s easier for you! You can also use different shaped cake pans if bundts aren’t your thing. See the back of the cake mix box for baking times.
This easy honey cake recipe hack for Rosh Hashanah will be your new best friend this season. I promise.
Personally, I would never schlep out the flour to make honey cake again!!
I hope you enjoy, and Shana Tova!
Honey Cake Recipe:
1 box Duncan Hines Spice Cake mix
1 cup water or cooled brewed coffee
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup Gefen Honey
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix the ingredients together in the bowl of a mixer or by hand, until everything is incorporated.
3. Spray a Bundt pan well with cooking spray and immediately transfer the batter to the pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
4. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then loosen the edges with a knife. Invert onto a large plate or cake dome.
5. Cool completely before icing (see below).
Apple Cider Icing Recipe:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon melted margarine
1 and 1/2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider or apple juice
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
Combine all the icing ingredients in a bowl. Start by adding in one and a half tablespoons of cider or juice and add up to three tablespoons as needed. Pour over the cooled cake.