1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Prepare the apple filling: Melt margarine in saucepan and add apples, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugars. Cook over low heat until apples are soft. To drain the juice and prevent the flaky dough from getting soggy, add enough flour to the mixture to get a slightly pasty apple mixture with no liquid.
3. Mix ingredients for crumb topping and set aside.
4. To make the lattice design. Roll lattice roller over half the pastry squares and cut it in half. Put apple filling down the center of a puff pastry square and make an open pocket with the apples showing. Cover with the lattice design.
5. Brush pastries with egg and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle crumb mixture over pastries.
6. Bake for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle generously with confectioners’ sugar. Best when baked fresh.