1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Generously grease several baking sheets. Spray the underside of a muffin pan generously with cooking spray.
2. Sift together flour and ginger.
3. In a small pot over medium heat, combine margarine, sugar, and corn syrup. Cook until margarine is melted. Allow to cool.
4. Stir flour mixture and lemon zest into syrup. Drop spoonfuls (about two to three teaspoons per mound) onto prepared baking sheets, making sure they’re well-spaced, as the mixture will spread (I did four mounds per sheet).
5. Bake 10–15 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and let cool one minute. Gently lift a brandy snap off the baking sheet with an offset spatula or knife and bend it over the bottom of a well-greased muffin cup to shape. Remove baskets when cool and set.
6. Fill the baskets with ice cream, custard, lemon curd, or fresh fruit and enjoy! (The baskets can be made in advance, but do not fill until close to serving or they will get soggy.)
Bake the snaps in batches, so you have time to shape them as they come out of the oven. I find it very helpful to wear latex gloves when shaping the baskets over the muffin cups, as the cookies are still quite hot. If you have a pair of tongs, that will also make it easier to help form the baskets.