1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle oil on the bottom of a nine- by 13-inch casserole dish.
2. Pour rice into the pan, then add the water. Stir and smooth into an even layer.
3. Lay chicken cutlets on top of the rice in a single layer. Sprinkle the chicken with kosher salt and black pepper.
4. Top the casserole evenly with the peas, followed by the mushrooms. Cover completely with the potato soup.
5. Cover and bake for one hour and 20 minutes.
6. Remove chicken and stir together the rice, vegetables and sauce in the pan. Serve the tender chicken alongside the creamy rice and vegetables. If using, sprinkle fried onions over the top.
I have prepared this dish as a make-ahead freezer meal. To do that, cook completely, then chop up the chicken and stir it into the rice and vegetables. Put the whole thing in the freezer and voila! You have chicken and rice bowls any night of the week.