1. Bring the wine and shallot to a boil in a small saucepan set over high heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low; add the salmon fillet. Gently poach for five minutes or until the center of the salmon is barely opaque. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shallot from the poaching liquid. Remove the salmon and discard the poaching liquid.
3. Transfer both the salmon and shallot to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
4. Add the smoked salmon, mayonnaise, chives, capers and lemon juice to the salmon and shallot.
5. The salmon mixture can be refrigerated for up to one day. Serve cold with toasted slices of baguette.