1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or a skillet.
3. Coat the ribs with ras el hanout on both sides. Sear the ribs in the olive oil until they are golden brown, then remove the ribs from the pot and transfer to a plate.
4. Add the diced onion and cook for three to five minutes, until the onion softens and begins to turn golden. Add in the carrots and cook for five minutes.
5. Add in the tomato paste and mix well with the vegetables. If you’re using a Dutch oven, pour in the silan and water. The water should cover most of the ribs, with the tops peeking out. Bring the water to a simmer. If you’re using a regular pan, transfer the ribs and vegetables to an oven safe dish before pouring in the water and silan.
6. Transfer the pot or dish to the oven and bake for two to two and a half hours until the ribs are really soft and most of the water is absorbed. In the last half hour of cooking, add in the chickpeas.