1. Take the remaining ball of dough and roll out on a floured surface until it is half an inch thick. Cut into one- and- a- half-inch circles and place on a cookie sheet dusted generously with flour. If at some point you think you will have more doughnuts than you want to eat, divide the remaining dough into balls and shape into rolls that will bake for about 25 minutes. You can reroll and cut the dough scraps or roll it into rolls. Cover doughnuts with a clean dishtowel and let rise for 45 minutes.
2. To make the doughnuts, heat two inches of oil in a medium saucepan and use a candy thermometer to see when the oil stays between 365 and 370 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes; adjust the flame so the oil stays in that temperature range.
3. Meanwhile place the Everything Bagel Spice into a coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle and crush to break down the seeds and turn the mixture partially into a powder. Place into a shallow bowl.
4. Into another shallow bowl, place the sugar, cardamom and cinnamon and mix well. (You have enough toppings to rolls half the doughnuts in the Everything Bagel Spice and half in the cinnamon cardamom sugar.)
5. Cover a cookie sheet with foil. Place a wire rack on top and set near your stovetop. Carefully add the doughnuts into the oil and cook for a minute and a half. Cook no more than six or seven at a time. Use tongs or chopsticks to turn the doughnuts over and cook for another minute and a half, or until golden.
6. Use a slotted spoon to lift the doughnuts out, allowing the excess oil to drip off, shake a few times, and then drop into one of the shallow bowls and roll in the topping to coat all sides. Place the doughnuts on the rack. Repeat for the remaining doughnuts.