1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
2. To make the sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add salt and garlic cubes and mix until fragrant.
3. Add tomato paste and mix well. Add vodka and let simmer for two minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, heavy cream, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for five minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Spread a spoonful sauce on the bottom of a 9×13-inch (23×33-centimeter) baking dish. Top with a layer of noodles, one cup of sauce, and 1/4–1/3 cup cottage cheese. Mix the sauce and cheese and then top with a layer of mozzarella. Repeat layering two to three more times, until sauce is finished.
5. If desired, add a sprinkle of Parmesan, then sprinkle with oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper.
6. Pour one tablespoon of water into each of the four corners of the pan. Cover and bake for one hour.
7. Remove pan from oven, uncover, and raise oven heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Bake for another 10 minutes. Turn oven to broil setting for three to five minutes, until the cheese is browned.