1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease six to eight (four-ounce) ramekins.
2. In a saucepan, combine dates and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until dates are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in baking soda. Let cool for 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix to combine. Add date mixture and mix. Fold in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until just combined. Do not over mix.
4. The sticky date pudding will bake in a water bath. Set ramekins in a baking or roasting pan and pour boiling water around then, coming almost halfway up the sides.
5. Add batter to ramekins (be careful that no water gets into the ramekins) and bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool before removing ramekins from water.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan, melt butter and sugar together. Lower heat, add cream, vanilla, and salt. Mix until creamy. Serve alongside puddings.