Naomi Nachman’s latest episode of Sunny Side Up is officially live on kosher.com, and it’s an episode like you’ve never seen before!
Her guest is Malkie Knopfler, also known as the Comic Cook on Instagram. If you’re familiar with Malkie’s Instagram content (which includes family, food, fashion, and fun), then you KNOW this episode of SSU is not one to miss!
Aside from Naomi and Malkie’s chemistry and the fun they have together on the show, Malkie also shows us how to make not just one recipe, but an entire meal in a beautiful basket. With her delicious shortcut recipes and genius tips, everything comes together in no time at all. Whether you know someone who just had a baby, someone who’s sick, or someone who could just use some extra help, this gift basket is the perfect way to show them you care.
Below, we’re sharing Malkie’s recipes with you, and also walking you through how to put her incredible dinner basket together in minutes.
What you’ll need:
1. A large basket to put all the prepared food into
2. Pretty plastic plates
3. Disposable plastic tablecloth
4. Microwaveable containers with lids
Putting it all together:
1. Once all your food is prepared (see recipes below), place each dish into its own container, and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Place the containers in your basket, along with the plates.
3. Use the plastic tablecloth to tie a bow around the entire basket to keep everything in place (and for a stunning appearance, of course).
That’s all there is to it! With Malkie’s super easy recipes and tips, you’ll be on your way to a friend in need in no time!
Yes, there are a few REALLY EASY recipes that Malkie shares (see below), but what we love most is how she uses store-bought foods to make life easier!
She uses microwaveable rice (which takes minutes to prepare), Kineret Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookies, and pre-cut fruit from the store. Genius!
On to the recipes!
1 butternut squash, cubed (you can also buy this prepared)
1/2 large onion, cubed
4 cloves fresh garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
5 cups vegetable stock
deep disposable pan
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place squash, onion, garlic, and seasonings in the deep pan. Roast uncovered for 40 minutes. Leave the oven on.
3. Remove the pan from the oven, add the vegetable stock, then cover and place back in the oven until the veggies are cooked through.
4. Remove from the oven again and blend (you can do this right in the pan with a stick blender).
1 package chicken strips
Salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste
Onion powder, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Paprika, to taste
Oil, for frying
1. On a plate, mix the flour with spices.
2. Coat the chicken strips in the flour mixture.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Pan-sear the chicken strips in batches until golden, turning to cook all sides.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 (16-ounce) bag frozen pepper strips
1 onion, chopped and sauteed (or 4 cubes Gefen Sautéed Onions)
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cubes Gefen Frozen Garlic
1. In a small sauté pan on medium heat, add the onions and peppers and cook until wilted.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook, mixing, until it bubbles. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 1 or 2 more minutes, until the sauce is combined. Remove from heat and put in a container.
To watch this episode of Sunny Side Up click here.