1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add in the ground beef and chop into pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until the beef is browned on all sides. Add in the spices, sauteed onions, and mushrooms. Cook for an additional five minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, remove the puff pastry from the package and cut in half. Place the second sheet in the fridge while you work with the first. On a floured surface, lightly roll out the puff pastry sheet to form a nice rectangle.
4. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with Gefen Parchment Paper. Imagine the pastry has three equal sections. Add half of the ground beef mixture, using a slotted spoon, to the center section. Leave a half-inch space at the top and bottom. Using a sharp knife, cut the two outside sections into eight one-inch horizontal strips just to the center section. Fold the top and bottom. Then, alternating sides, “braid” the strips over the middle section. Set aside and repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry.
5. Brush both braids with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake until golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.