1. In a large non-stick, deep-dish pan, add onions and honey.
2. Cook over medium-low heat for approximately 30 to 45 minutes until caramelized and browned. (At first, the onions will release a lot of water, but eventually the water will evaporate. Keep stirring while cooking and you’ll get deep golden onions).
3. While the onions are cooking, season chicken with salt, pepper, and oil and place in a single layer in a roasting pan that has a tight-fitting lid.
4. Once onions are ready, pour caramelized onion and honey mixture over chicken, spreading evenly to top all the pieces.
5. Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour and 20 minutes.
6. Add in chestnuts, using a spoon to tuck them under the onions and around the chicken. Cover and bake for another 20 to 40 minutes until it’s deeply caramelized, golden, and fork tender.