1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius).
2. Place cauliflower in a large bowl. Break apart the large florets so that they’re all roughly the same size (about one inch, or two and a half centimeters wide). Combine pesto and olive oil, mixing well. Drizzle over the cauliflower and toss to coat.
3. Place cauliflower onto a baking sheet, making sure the florets are spread apart. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until edges are beginning to brown. Remove from oven and allow to rest for five minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
4. Thread three to four cauliflower florets onto the end of a skewer, keeping them towards the edge. (I used eight-inch skewers for this.) Place the skewers onto two baking sheets, with the empty skewer ends facing outwards. This will make them easy to grasp when serving. Leave a bit of space between each skewer so they won’t stick together once sprinkled with cheese.
5. One at a time, drizzle each skewer with pizza sauce and top with shredded cheese, taking care to keep them spread apart. Return to the oven for an additional five to six minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with freshly chopped basil.
6. While cheese is still hot, slip a spatula under each skewer to transfer gently onto a serving dish. Serve immediately.