1. In a bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and fresh ginger on medium speed until lightened, about four minutes.
3. Add brown sugar; beat until combined.
4. Add molasses; beat until combined.
5. In a small bowl dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
6. Beat half of the flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture.
7. Mix in chocolate; turn onto plastic wrap. Pat out to a one-inch thicknes; seal with wrap. Refrigerate until firm, two hours or overnight.
8. Roll dough to one- and- a- half-inch balls, and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Chill 20 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, 10–12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool five minutes.
10. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.