1. Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray and turn on high. Whisk together the flour, a quarter cup sugar, salt, two tablespoons cocoa powder, and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, dissolve the hot cocoa powder in the soy milk. Pour over the dry ingredients. Add oil and vanilla. Mix together. (Mixture will be thick.) Stir in chips.
3. Spread the batter in an even layer in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining sugar and cocoa powder over the batter. Pour boiling water over all.
4. Cover and cook on high for two hours, or low for approximately four hours. (For a more pudding-like texture, cook for one hour and 30–45 minutes on high, or three hours on low.) Let cool slightly before serving.
5. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream. Drizzle with caramel topping and chopped Viennese crunch or candied pecans if desired.
You can vary flavor by using chips of your choice, i.e., butterscotch, vanilla, mocha, peanut butter, mint.