1. Melt margarine in one cup boiling water. Dissolve yeast in a quarter cup warm water.
2. In a large mixer bowl, combine the margarine and the yeast mixture and then add the rest of ingredients, adding ﬂour last. Mix and add more ﬂour, as necessary. (Dough should be a bit sticky.)
3. Refrigerate dough at least three hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Combine filling ingredients of your choice.
5. Divide dough into three parts. Roll out each part to quarter-inch thickness. Smear with oil. Sprinkle ﬁlling of choice (chocolate or cinnamon) generously over dough. (Make more ﬁlling, if necessary – see note.)
6. Roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion. Cut into one- to one- and- a- half-inch thick slices. For buns, place slices on greased cookie sheet. To shape as a babka, place slices in a round pattern in a greased nine-inch round pan.
7. Allow dough to rise for 15 additional minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.