1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion for two to three minutes until translucent.
2. Add all of the spices, ginger, and garlic and fry, stirring, for about a minute or until they release their aroma.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and chickpeas. Mix and simmer for about one minute.
4. Add the coconut milk and a few pinches of salt to taste. Simmer for about five minutes until the sauce reduces a bit and the consistency becomes a little thicker.
5. If desired, serve over rice with cilantro on top.