1. Combine ground beef and veal, vegetables, eggs, and spices in a large bowl.
2. Coat a large pot with a thin layer of oil and place over medium heat. Pour half of one can of tomato sauce into the pot.
3. Form walnut-sized balls of the meat mixture; add to pot. Continue to form more meatballs, pouring additional sauce between layers and over top layer of meatballs. Cover pot and allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Remove pot lid and move half of the meatballs to one side of the pot. Pour rice and water into the empty side and cook an additional 25 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and leave covered for 10 minutes.