1. In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in butter or margarine until tender.
2. Add the tomato juice, bouillon, water, lemon juice, parsley, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Ladle the soup into six soup bowls and top with toasted French bread.
5. Optional: For an authentic gourmet touch, pour soup into 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins, top with toasted bread, and sprinkle with cheese. Broil four to six inches from heat for two to three minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.