1. In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt margarine (or use oil) and stir in flour to make roux. Set aside.
2. In a separate pot, sauté the onion and dill in one tablespoon oil.
3. Place eight cups of water in another pot; add all the vegetables, tomato juice, and salt and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and lower heat. Simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Add one cup of this soup to the roux. Stir well; then add the roux to the soup in the pot. Mix the onion-dill mixture into the soup.
5. Cook over low heat until soup bubbles and begins to thicken and vegetables are soft, stirring frequently.