1. Heat oil over high heat in a wide bottomed pot.
2. Add in the mushrooms in a single layer. If there are too many, do it in several batches.
3. Cook undisturbed for two minutes to allow some color to develop, and stir to sear the other side.
4. When mushrooms are a deep golden brown, add in broth, soy sauce, and pepper.
5. Return to a simmer, cook two to three minutes, and check and adjust seasoning.
6. Add in ramen noodles and cook one minute more. (If you are concerned about the broth getting cloudy, you can cook them in a separate pot according to the package directions.)
7. Divide veggies between the bowls and pour the broth and noodles over them. (If you’re going for that pretty arranged look, pour the broth in first and then add the warmed veggies and noodles as toppings.)
8. Serve immediately.
Notes: This can be the perfect vegan meal. Substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth and load it up with your favorite veggies and legumes. I love the freshness of green vegetables here, and it’s well suited to peas, edamame, and sprouts of all kinds.