I dreamed up this roast a while ago, and when I tasted the sauce just as it came out of the oven, I was instantly transported to a Chinese restaurant. The pineapple in the sauce helps tenderize the meat, making it really soft. The familiar flavors work so well on a roast — even the pickiest kid in the family asked for doubles!
Prepare the French Roast
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius).
2. Place peppers and onion in the bottom of a large roasting pan. Set aside.
3. Heat a large pan over high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the roast, then sear for about a minute per side. Place into pan over the vegetables.
Prepare the Sauce
1. Whisk all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over meat.
2. Cover pan tightly and bake for three to four hours (about an hour per pound).
Prepare Mango-Pineapple Salsa
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Serve alongside the roast.
Roast can be prepared ahead of time and frozen. For best results, cool the meat, slice it, then place slices back in the sauce and freeze. Salsa should be prepared fresh.