1. Heat oil in a seven- or eight-quart pot. Sauté onion over medium heat for five minutes.
2. Add red pepper and continue sautéing five minutes more.
3. Add garlic and sauté an additional minute.
4. Add carrots, sweet potato, and butternut squash and stir over low heat for five minutes.
5. Add tomato puree, wings, lentils, barley, and split peas. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
6. Add the bay leaf, parsley, and salt and pepper (be generous). Lower heat and cook for two hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the quinoa and cook 15–20 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.