1. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until transparent but not brown.
2. Add celery, carrots, potato, and half a cup of water. Sauté vegetables until tender, then transfer to a large pot.
3. Add beans, tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, and garlic.
4. Add broth/water, cumin, thyme, paprika, bay leaves, sugar, salt, pepper, and parsley.
5. Bring soup to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for one hour, or until beans are completely cooked. Remove bay leaves and discard.
6. Serve hot with pita bread or pita chips.
The cooking and prep time listed above does not take into account the time needed to soak the beans overnight. In addition to the overnight soaking time, this dish will take between one and three hours to prepare, depending on the type of beans used.
You can add chunks of beef, shredded chicken, or any additional vegetable you want to this delicious taste of Israel!