1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius).
2. Mix the spices in a small bowl and season the lamb shanks with the mix.
3. Heat a skillet with some oil. Add the seasoned lamb shanks (work in batches if needed) and brown about five to eight minutes on each side.
4. Place the lamb shanks into an oven-safe dish.
5. Add the shallots and garlic to the skillet and sauté for about five minutes. Add the tomato paste, wine, broth, and figs to the skillet and bring to a boil.
6. Pour the sauce over the lamb and cover the pan tightly. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for four to five hours or until the meat is falling-off-the-bone soft.
7. Best served over mashed potatoes or couscous. Garnish with fresh mint.