1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, sauté onions, garlic, and ginger till soft. Add the spices.
3. Lower heat; cook for additional two minutes. Transfer onion, garlic, and ginger to a large baking dish or two nine- by 13-inch pans.
4. Increase heat to high; using the same sauté pan, sear the chicken pieces for a few minutes on each side until brown on both sides.
5. Place chicken into the baking dish; set aside.
6. In a small bowl, stir together broth, honey, cilantro, cinnamon stick, dates, and apricots; pour mixture over the chicken.
7. Cover pan(s) tightly with foil; bake for 45 minutes.
8. Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Uncover pan(s); baste chicken with pan juices and bake for another 20 minutes, uncovered, until chicken is golden brown.