1. In a wide pan, place half the bell peppers, chili peppers, jalapeno, garlic, chickpeas, and cilantro. Arrange salmon fillets on top. Cover with remaining vegetables.
2. In a small bowl, mix the oil with spices. Brush a coating of spice mixture onto salmon fillets.
3. Add boiling water to remaining oil and spices. Pour it around salmon. Sauce should cover vegetables on the bottom. (If it doesn’t, mix another ¼ cup oil with 1 tablespoon paprika and 1 cup boiling water and add it to the pan.)
4. Place pan over medium flame. Partially cover pan and bring sauce to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, basting fish with sauce at intervals.
5. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook slowly for about 1 hour, until liquid is reduced by half. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
You can place all the ingredients in a baking dish and bake it, covered, at 350° F for 1½ hours, uncovering it for the last 20 minutes, but the sauce will not have the same thick consistency.