1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If using a whole chicken, butterfly it as directed in the tip.
2. Grease a baking dish large enough to fit the flattened chicken (about 10 inches round). Place a layer of orange slices in the bottom of the dish. Place chicken on top, skin side up. Rub chicken skin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover well and bake for one hour.
3. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for glaze in a small bowl.
4. After chicken has cooked for an hour, remove from oven and spread glaze evenly all over skin. You can add glazed oranges randomly on top of the skin (optional). Cover again and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer.
5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and roast chicken uncovered 3 or 4 minutes.