This simple, speedy chili gets loads of spice and flavor − despite its abbreviated list of ingredients − thanks to green chile tomatoes and seasoned chili beans. Quinoa adds extra protein, making this vegetarian chili hearty as well as homey.
Quinoa Chili in a Mug
- Cooking and Prep: 20 m
- Serves: 6
Prepare the Quinoa Chili
In the mug, combine quinoa and water. Microwave on High for four minutes. Stir.
Microwave on High for three to five minutes (checking at three) or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
Stir in tomatoes and beans. Microwave on high for one and a half to two and a half minutes (checking at one and a half minutes) or until heated through.
Cover mug with a small plate or saucer and let stand for one minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with any of the suggested accompaniments, as desired.
• To prep ahead, measure the quinoa into the mug; cover and store at room temperature. Measure the tomatoes and beans into a small airtight container; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
• An equal amount of quick-cooking brown rice or quick-cooking barley can be used in place of the quinoa. Reduce the cooking time in step one to five minutes total, stopping to stir halfway through.
• For even more flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon (one milliliter) ground cumin with the tomatoes.
• Freeze the remaining tomatoes in a small sealable freezer bag for future use. Be sure to label the bag with the contents. Store for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator or microwave before using.
• Freeze the remaining chili beans in a small sealable freezer bag. You can freeze the entire amount in one bag, or portion out 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) per bag so that the beans are recipe-ready. Be sure to label the bag with the contents. Store for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator or microwave before using.
Courtesy of 250 Best Meals in a Mug by Camilla V. Saulsbury © 2014 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. Available where books are sold.
Image credit: Colin Erricson