• To prep ahead, measure the quinoa into the mug; cover and store at room temperature. Measure the tomatoes and beans into a small airtight container; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
• An equal amount of quick-cooking brown rice or quick-cooking barley can be used in place of the quinoa. Reduce the cooking time in step one to five minutes total, stopping to stir halfway through.
• For even more flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon (one milliliter) ground cumin with the tomatoes.
• Freeze the remaining tomatoes in a small sealable freezer bag for future use. Be sure to label the bag with the contents. Store for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator or microwave before using.
• Freeze the remaining chili beans in a small sealable freezer bag. You can freeze the entire amount in one bag, or portion out 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) per bag so that the beans are recipe-ready. Be sure to label the bag with the contents. Store for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator or microwave before using.
Courtesy of 250 Best Meals in a Mug by Camilla V. Saulsbury © 2014 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. Available where books are sold.
Image credit: Colin Erricson