1. Dissolve yeast in one cup lukewarm water and add a bit of sugar to help it rise.
2. In a large mixing bowl, first put salt, then flour, and then sugar on top.
3. Once the yeast bubbles, add it on top of the sugar. Then add eggs, oil, and remaining four cups of water. Knead to a soft dough.
4. Let dough rest for about 10 minutes.
5. Continue kneading, adding a drop of flour if it’s too wet. The dough will be on the soft and sticky side. Smear surface of dough with oil. Let rise in warm place for one and a half hours.
7. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, braid, and place in pans. Let challahs rise half an hour more.
8. Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes and then at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for half an hour.