1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an eight- by eight-inch square baking dish with Gefen Parchment Paper, leaving some excess hanging over for easy removal later.
2. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave in short intervals, or over a double boiler, until just melted.
3. Mix sugar into melted chocolate mixture, followed by the eggs, vanilla extract, and salt, stirring until smooth.
4. Stir in almond meal and cocoa powder until smooth. Mix in chocolate pieces and/or walnuts last.
5. Transfer batter into prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle more chocolate and/or walnuts over the top if desired.
6. Bake brownies for 23-27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Don’t over-bake—you want these gooey!
7. Let brownies cool completely before lifting them out of the pan by the excess parchment paper; then slice into bars.
Use refined coconut oil, which has a completely neutral taste, if you don’t want any coconut flavor in your brownies.