1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
2. Remove the cores from the parsnips.
3. Cut into three-inch (7 and 1/2 centimeter) lengths, or if the quarters are small, leave as is.
4. Halve the pears lengthwise and remove the cores, leaving the stem attached. Cut the halves into quarters or, if the pears are especially large, into sixths.
5. Put the parsnips and pears on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, and toss to coat evenly. Spread out in an even layer and season with salt.
6. Roast until tender and browned, 30–40 minutes.