1. Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add oil, onion, carrot, two teaspoons salt and pepper. Cook for eight minutes, stirring often.
2. Drain and rinse beans and add them to the pot with tomatoes, thyme and wine. Stir. Allow wine to reduce down for four minutes.
3. Add bay leaf, crushed pepper flakes, water and/or stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for two hours.
4. Add kale, stir and cook for five minutes until wilted.
5. Serve hot and add a squeeze of lemon, some freshly cracked black pepper and a little drizzle of olive oil to round it out.