1. In a small bowl, mix sumac, cinnamon, salt, and cumin. Rub all over brisket.
2. In a large soup pot over high heat, heat two tablespoons canola oil. Sear brisket
for a few minutes on each side until it forms a nice brown crust. Remove meat from pot and set aside.
3. In the same pot, lower heat to medium and add remaining one tablespoon oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add carrots, sweet potatoes, and dried prunes and sauté for five minutes.
4. Add the brisket back to the pot, along with crushed tomatoes and broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for three hours.
5. Remove meat from pot and shred with two forks. Add the meat back to the
pot before serving.