1. Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan.
2. Add onions and sauté over medium heat for 15 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Add garlic during the last two minutes.
3. Transfer onions and garlic to a six- to eight-quart Crock-Pot. Add beans, carrots, celery, zucchini, quinoa, and apple cider vinegar, if using. Add four cups of water. Dissolve chicken and onion soup mix in the remaining four cups of water and stir. Add to Crock-Pot with the salt, pepper, sage, and thyme.
4. Turn Crock-Pot to high and cook for about seven hours. Add spinach and parsley the last half hour or hour. Cool slightly.
5. Remove half the soup (with beans and veggies) from the Crock-Pot and blend with an immersion blender. Return to pot and mix together. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. You can add a bit of Italian seasoning at the end if you feel it needs a little kick.