1. A seared, charred crust is where the flavors and textures that define great grilling are found. To accomplish that, preheating your grill to super hot is essential.
2. Thickly cut chicken breasts need about 12 minutes total cook time, thin cuts around seven to eight minutes. Dark meat cutlets need a bit longer, around 15 minutes.
3. Pat your protein dry and then put it on the grill to sear.
4. Lower the heat and close the grill lid to let the chicken cook evenly. Low and slow is the name of the game.
5. Flip the chicken (never flip more than once). Sear on the second side, then cook. Allow chicken to rest before slicing.