I can always count on my sister-in-law Nechama for a new recipe that will garner raves. I gasped when I heard the amount of oil, and so I present my low-fat version of this outstanding kugel. We eat it hot, warm, and cold — it’s that good!
1. Line 12 square tart pans and a small square pan (or 3 9-inch round pan or 3 loaf pans) with Gefen Parchment Paper and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté onions over medium heat until brown, approximately 20 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue sautéing for 6–8 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to wilt and shrivel, but don’t brown. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
4. Place grated zucchini in a large strainer and squeeze out very well. Transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add sautéed onions and mushrooms. Add remaining ingredients, aside from bread crumbs, and mix very well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
6. Pour into prepared pans and sprinkle with bread crumbs. For square kugelettes, bake 30 minutes. For round pans or loaf pans, bake 45–60 minutes.
This kugel can be frozen — heat semi-frozen and covered for 10 minutes and uncovered the rest of the time until defrosted and heated through.
Mushrooms What is the amount of “2 boxes of mushrooms”? Cups? Weight?
A standard mushroom box which would be 8 ounces.