1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Scoop up a third of a cup of the caramel and use a silicone spatula to spread it in an even layer on the bottom of the pan, on top of the crumb mixture.
3. Pour the cheesecake filling on top of the caramel-topped crust. Place into a roasting pan with sides higher than two inches and place pan on the middle rack of the oven.
4. Boil water and pour into the roasting pan, around the cheesecake pan. The water should reach one-third to halfway up the sides of the pan.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon. Leave the cake in the oven for another hour.
6. Remove the cake from the roasting pan and let cool on a rack until it is completely cooled. Place in the fridge five hours or overnight.
7. To serve, remove cake from springform pan and carefully transfer to a cake plate. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.