We often make this for birthdays in our home – either in cupcake form or in a large baking pan. It is very festive and children love it. Top with frosting of your choice, or use the one below. Sure to be a hit.
Watch the video here.
Make the Cupcakes
Yields 16 cupcakes or 1 9×13-inch pan or 2 9-inch round pans.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
2. Cream margarine or oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
3. Add dry ingredients alternately with wet ingredients. Fold in sprinkles at the end and mix well.
4. Pour into greased muffin tins and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden. Cool.
Make the Frosting
1. Place two unbeaten egg whites in the bowl of a mixer. Set aside.
2. Combine sugar, water, cream of tartar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
3. Very slowly, drizzle the sugar syrup into the egg whites, beating constantly until stiff peaks form, about seven minutes. (This is similar to how you pour in the oil when making mayo on Pesach.) Beat in vanilla.
4. To frost cupcakes, simply dip the top of each cupcake into the frosting. Twirl the cupcake slightly and then quickly turn right side up. Garnish with colored sprinkles.
If you’re short on time (who isn’t?!), just spread cupcakes with marshmallow fluff. It certainly does the trick!
Made this in a cake was so simple and delicious!
ok i just made them today. they taste rather doughy. its not light and fluffy that you would expect from a cupcake and i followed it to the tee. i think i might just try it again just instead of margarine i would put in oil. could be that will make a difference. im wondering if anyone else used oil and how it came out. thank you!
i made with oil was beyond amazing whole family loved loved loved
Freeze? Can these be frozen. Frosted or unfrosted if freezing?
they can be frozen – better if unfrosted!
Delicious!! I tasted these by a friend today , They were airy and delicious and looked so cute and pretty !!!
They are adorable though! Want to taste some myself.
Cupcakes turned pink? Hi, although the cupcakes tasted delicious, in the oven, they turned pink and the colour of the sprinkles came off so I’m left with pink cupcakes with white sprinkles inside… how do i rectify this??
Brynie says that the quality of the sprinkles is really important. They should be fresh for best results. I am sorry you had this happen. Although, many a little girl would love a pink cupcake…