1. Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic, and sauté until golden brown and aromatic. Add carrots and continue to sauté for a few more minutes.
2. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, and the Herbs de Provence. It’s important to season the soup during the cooking for maximum flavor.
3. Add wine and cook until almost no liquid is left in the pot. Add vegetable stock and season again with more salt and pepper.
4. Bring soup to a boil, and then reduce to simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
5. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
6. Add soy milk and blend again, until soup is smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Herbs de Provence is a spice blend typically used in France. Traditionally, it is a mixture of thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, and marjoram. Since finding this spice mix, I use it in everything, from chicken to fish. It’s worth the investment.