Soup is a staple in my home, and this soup is our favorite. The Parmesan croutons and heavy cream make it a truly Yom Tov-worthy dish.
Prepare the Creamy Dairy Broccoli Soup
1. In a six-quart pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent (about 10 minutes). Add squash and sauté an additional 10 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and whole carrots and sauté for two more minutes.
2. Add frozen broccoli and water to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer for 60 to 90 minutes.
3. Once vegetables are soft, remove carrots. Blend soup while slowly adding heavy cream.
Prepare the Parmesan Croutons
1. Line a baking sheet with Gefen Parchment Paper.
2. Cut Parmesan cheese into half-inch cubes.
3. In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs and spices. Dip each cube in egg and then in crumbs.
4. Place cubes onto baking sheet and freeze for one hour.
5. Heat oil over medium-low heat. Working quickly, fry each crouton for about 30 seconds per side until the outside is browned and the cheese is just starting to melt.
6. Serve immediately with soup or over a salad.
If you can’t find fresh Parmesan cheese, these croutons can be made with fresh mozzarella cheese as well.