1. The day before, sprinkle the lamb with salt and bake on 295 degrees Fahrenheit for three hours, covered. Refrigerate.
2. Remove the fat and save the jus (the gelatinous juice from the lamb). Remove meat from the bones and cut into bite-size pieces.
3. Saute onions in the quarter-cup olive oil until translucent.
4. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add cumin.
5. Add carrots and sauté another 10 minutes.
6. Add the meat and jus and cook covered on a low flame for one hour.
7. While the meat and vegetables are cooking, add rice, water, two tablespoons of olive oil, and salt to a pan. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes to an hour until cooked.
8. Add cooked rice to pot and stir well until combined. Taste and add salt if necessary. Serve.